Sunday 18 February 2007

Saroj's Spiritual Journey

At the last meeting on Feb 4th, Saroj shared a lovely piece about her spiritual journey so far. Since we all loved it, by popular demand it is posted here...

My Enlightenment Experience

Seeds of spirituality were sown in me while I was still in school.I grew up listening to the strains of Gurubani at home . I also regularly visited The Ramakrikshna Mission to participate in the recitation & speech competitions .On Sundays’ I went for a discourse on the Gita by Swami Ranganathan Nanda along with my father.But my actual journey started in 1991 when I lost my husband and decided to live by myself.Besides the emotional truama of my loss and the choice of an untraditional way of life,my health problems made my journey more difficult.

In the eighties ,after struggling with allopathy for two years to treat my sciatica pain I gave a try to naturopathy.The results were amazing.The discovery of the healing powers of my body with the help of just food, water,mud and Sun therapies and yoga was the best thing that happened to me in years.So I decided to walk on this path of natural healing once again much to the consternation of my family and my friends.

As a first stepI went to Sivanand Ashram , located on Neyer Dam in Kerala to learn yoga.In a week’s time of yoga,right diet and meditation I could climb stairs without the mandatory Sorbitrate.

I came back to Delhi and to my job- feeling much better.Next I attended a camp on reversing heart disease through lifestyle changes organised by AIIMS in collaboration with Sadhna Kendra. I gave up coffee,became a vegetarian and followed completely whatever I learnt at the Ashram.In three months there was a remarkable improvement in my condition.

After my first initiatives the path unfolded on its own.I was being led and I was only responding.I participated in workshops etc at Sivanand Ashram- Delhi. Went for a Bhagvatam Saptah to Uttarkashi.An old friend – took me for Diksha from my first Guru-Shakuntalaji(Maa) of Ramsharnam . Another friend gave me the Talks on the Gita by Vinoba Bhave.I read this simple yet profound book again and again for two years.Then I read The Divine Romance by Yoganand.During this time Life Positive also played the role of a friend and a guide. In 1995 I went for a trip to south all by myself.It was a very special journey of self discovery.

In 1996 I moved to Gurgaon and retired in 1997.I was lonely ,my health was at its lowest.I could not even go to Panipat At this juncture Art of Living basic course came my way.I attended the same.This was the beginning of the most beautiful and important phase of my spiritual journey.I have done almost all courses of AOL.

Initially I could not accept Sri Sri Ravishanker as my Guru since I already had a Guru.But His Grace kept pouring in despite my reservations and hesitations –now Guruji’s photograph along with Maa’s photoraph adorns my little temple.

I can’t say I am 100% happy and there are no slips in my health or emotional state but I am surely on my way.At 67, I live alone, lead an active life and live life on my own terms.What more can I ask for!

2 comments:

Nandini Gulati said...

WoW Saroj. You are an inspiration. May we all learn from you of how to make be independent and have a positive outlook to life.

Pramod said...

Life is eternal. So far there is no opposite word of life. Poeple say "death" is opposite word of "life" but i think it opposite of "birth" .

Sprituality makes us like a child to play with life.
A child does not play for name sake . Does not play for fame sake. But plays for game sake.

Pramod